Monday, April 26, 2010

Installing Hive Two - The Back Yard Hive

So the weather yesterday turned really bad after installing the first hive which I'm calling KFH for Kois Farm Hive.  So I left the second box of bees inside our Back Yard Hive, BYH, to be installed today when the weather cooperated.

Today went much better than yesterday.  It took me about 25 minutes total to install the bees in BYH.  Jaimi was there documenting the whole event.  So once again, rather than me type it out, here's some video of the installation of BYH.

For starters, I had to get the queen out...we'll call her Queenie?  Ashli will have to come up with a better name than that.  I don't think Queen Latifa Two is a good one either.  Anyway, here's a great video of me getting the queen out of the box and into the hive:

VIDEO LINK - BYH Queen

Next we get to dump the bees in which is my favorite part.  I sprayed them down with sugar water and started dumping.  This video is pretty good as well:

VIDEO LINK - Dumping the bees into BYH

And that's that!

I stopped by KFH - Kois Farm Hive today to see how the snow treated them.  The bees that did not move into the hive before the temp dropped and the snow hit did not make it.  I estimate that there were at least 150 bees still in the box below the hive.  Kind of a bummer but I couldn't open the hive back up to try and get them in with the rain and snow comin down.  There were still tons of bees in the hive and tons flying around the outside so I think they are just fine.

That's all for now.  I'll dig into the hive again next weekend and get some more video.

No comments:

Post a Comment